Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Groom Did Not Wear a Green Suit

My parents, Lee and Audrey (Meinzen) Doyle, went shopping together before the wedding. My mom went her way to get some things and my father went his. After Mom finished her shopping she met my father to look at the suit he'd chosen. She was more than a little surprised to see that it was green! She told him that if he wore a green suit to the wedding she would not marry him. (Perhaps my mom didn't realize so early in their relationship that my father was color blind?) My mother wore velvet and my father wore a suit which was not green. Sadly, there were no wedding photos.

This photo was taken some time before my parents married. My parents are on the left and Earl and Leona (Paine) Tuxford, the witnesses at the wedding, are on the right.

My parents were married on Thursday, September 15, 1938. Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!
.

10 comments:

  1. Such a lovely picture! I am so glad your dad did not wear a green suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorene. I like the photo, too, but it looks to me like they're squinting into the sun so the photographer doesn't have the camera facing the sun. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. My husbands always argues about the color of things. Right now it is paint color, I think he can not see the differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people doesn't see color as well as others and I know people see colors differently. My husband will call something orange that I know is red, etc.

      Delete
  3. What a hoot! And here I was raised to think that women in the 1930s were taught to just go along with the men.

    You go, Audrey!

    Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Dee. My mom was pretty strong-willed sometimes but at other times, she went along with whatever my dad declared as the way it would be. I think it must have been hard for her sometimes. (I know it would be for me!)

      Delete
  4. I bet he got a good deal on that green suit! Or maybe it was a good day for the salesclerk? Great photograph and story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about whether green was an "in" color in 1938. Thank goodness he didn't buy it, no matter how good the deal might have been. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Kathy.

      Delete
  5. Good thing for you he went along with the no green suit demand. I wonder if he knew he was color blind at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Kristin. I wouldn't be writing about their wedding if he'd bought that suit! I think Dad knew he was color blind but I'm not sure my mother knew at the time. I think once he said the suit looked brown to him so he must have had been able to see some colors. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Kristin.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...